Friday, September 3, 2010

Of coffee and homeless pervs

I have fallen under the city's spell. I never imagined it would be so beautiful. The ocean surrounding my neighborhood reminds me vaguely of El Nido, Palawan. I can walk to the city center in twenty minutes by the port or through the city. I am discovering new parts of it every day, cafes, restaurants, shops filled with colorful treasures. And everywhere, sunlight, bright and authoritative. A Marseille native told me that the city is blessed with 360 days of sunlight per year, and though the Marseillais is typically known to exaggerate, I believe him.
Yesterday was a day of discovery for me. I found a little coffee shop called Green Bear Coffee with free wifi and when I asked the barista - who happened to also be the owner - where the name of the place came from, he finally admitted that it was inspired by the Grey Dog coffee shop with Greenwhich Village, which I have visited once and passed by numerous times.
A little later that day I made a shocking discovery - a Starbucks, tucked into the Panier neighborhood! I had to check it out but was out of there as soon as I went in, not the type of place I would want to spend my time or money on here.
Then, an incident that could have easily turned me off from Marseille but didn't... At sunset I went down to to beach by my house and was sitting on a bench trying to capture the view on my phone, when a homeless guy sat next to me and asked me for my name. As I was taken by surprised, I gave him my name, which I immediately regretted. As he was behaving a little sketchy and intoxicated, I got up to leave and walked along the boardwalk. On my way back I bumped into him again, and he turned around to follow me. I had to stop at a stop light, at which he caught up with me and asked me if I wanted to see "the place he used as a toilet." I said "non merci" and dashed home! Fortunately the evening did not end on a bad note...

No comments:

Post a Comment