Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Greve generale, topless beach

So today tuesday the country is on strike. My first national strike since I moved back here and so far no big deal, except for the fact that Sara's school was closed (her father planned a playdate for her). Of course the Catholic school downstairs from my building was in session (privately owned) and I observed the kids play during recess, the girls learning a choreography reminiscent of Shakira's in She-Wolf (I'm a bit embarrassed to even know this and I blame it entirely on Frank), while the guys ran and threw punches at each other.
Having planned on going for a swim last night, I ended up just reading more Walter Benjamin instead and was once again surprised by what I should now consider a natural beach occurance now: the topless bathers and the parents screaming at their kids. No wonder French kids grow up to be the highest consumers of anti-depressants in the world. The parents pretty much expect their toddlers to behave like... adults? Was I like that? I remmber the Terrible Twos as being terrible indeed... was it because I made unreasonable demands? Anyway, difficult to relax with a book when the parents are swearing at the kids nearby.
As for topless sun/bathing, even if it is common practice, the men (and women!) do not tire from staring... I witness this old guy just gawking at this older lady as she was getting dressed; next thing you know his wife asked this other person to take a picture of them (husband and wife), which I thought was comical. I also witness the first Asian topless bather - most of the Asians I see are more likely to be overdressed at the beach.

No comments:

Post a Comment