Thursday, September 16, 2010

Bouillabaisse

What are the first two things that come to mind when Marseille is mentioned? L'Olympique de Marseille, or OM for short, the soccer team (which didn't do very well against Spartak last night) and of course Bouillabaisse.
As any self-respecting geek would do, I have done a bit of research on both. I am in no hurry to uncover the mysteries of either, au contraire, I am relishing the extended fore... er, discovery process.
In an effort to mingle with the locals I joined a group of travelers online and have been attending their weekly beach parties; last night was my second, and both times have been quite enjoyable, the fine sand, the sunset, the rosé (forget about Pastis), the apps (edible, not iphone), and the company. I started talking to these two ladies, one of which was older and seemed like she was on the verge of revealing her secret Bouillabaisse recipe. You can just imagine my excitement and anticipation at this point. She proceeded to explain how she bought a bottle of fish soup and added frozen fish filets in it, and her guests always enjoyed it tremendously. I almost spat out my leek tart in astonishment. I didn't know what to say, and out of politeness, ventured "Oh, is there a particular brand of bottled fish soup you recommend?"

No comments:

Post a Comment