Tuesday, September 14, 2010

tourist stuff

I couldn't lure Sara into a boat trip around the bay but we did reach a compromise and took the little tourist train around town instead, which is not as horrible and embarrassing as it sounds (okay it is). I found out a lot of things about the city (I don't think Sara was listening), such as the fact that it was founded as a result of a marriage of love... the Greek princess chose her mate and founded Massalia (or Massilia) with him. Apparently the city is also twice the size of Paris, and is home to the country's oldest Abbey, which dates back to 5 c. BC and is conveniently located fifteen minutes from my house.
Last week I also discovered two new neighborhoods, la Plaine/cours St Julien which has the best home-made cantaloupe sorbet I have ever tasted (had to have some before and after my meal), and le Pharo/plage du Pharo, with this huge boardwalk which reminded me of this beach in L.A. (I forget the name).

No comments:

Post a Comment