Thursday, March 31, 2011

Repent!

…the end is near. In less than two months time my course will be over. I feel like it was just yesterday that I inquired about it and next thing I knew I was enrolled for the following week. I’ve been looking for my first paid job in the kitchen and needless to say that it is a bit intimidating. After working for so many years in an office, which was not satisfying but was comfortingly familiar, I am once again venturing into unexplored territory. Looking for a job is different from looking for an intership; there is much more at stake in the former than in the latter, for obvious reasons. To begin with, my internships have been very short, so no matter how unpleasant the experience, I knew it was temporary and it made the present more bearable. Also there was less pressure since I was not a paid employee; the chefs were mostly cool and flexible with me on many accounts, from schedules to responsibilities.
For my next and last internship, I picked a little restaurant downtown where the chef works alone. The place is open just for lunch and it’s more simple fare than my previous three restaurants. Nevertheless, I like the daily menus and the fact that the chef advertises his home-made foie-gras; that’s the kind of stuff that speaks to me (even if we eat mostly quinoah and fat-free yogurt with agave nectar at home). The chef showed me around today and the kitchen is actually not that small, there is plenty of room for two. There are also two big windows which I was delighted to see… natural light in the workplace is important to me (and possibly one of the many factors that eventually led me to resign from my last job at 580 Madison Avenue). Also, and this will be a big change for me, the chef doesn’t wear a chef’s coat! He told me I was free to wear one if I chose to but that he was comfortable in a tee-shirt.



Just a little story on the importance of a chef’s coat: the other day in class we had to bake about two hundred little palmiers (sugary puff pastries) and since we only had two ovens it was taking a long time, so while I was waiting for them to cook, I removed my chef’s coat and put on my civilian top (which for the record was not a mid-riff, lord have mercy). I proceeded to take the pastries out and put the racks on the counter. At one point I reached over a hot rack and it seared my belly (which was led bare as a result of my leaning over the counter), leaving a deep purplish mark across it ... A painful reminder that I should never be in the kitchen without the proper attire!

No comments:

Post a Comment