Thursday, October 14, 2010

i blame it on starbucks

So, what I really set out to write about was not the lyceens striking, but of course, my first day at the restaurant.
I set out bright and early, but, as is often the case, I was too early, and so as to be right on time, I decided to take a little walk around the block. It so happens that the one and only Starbucks in Marseille was around the corner, and they have free wifi, and, well, I ended up in line there behind two Starbucks virgins who had a thousand and one questions about the intricacies of the American giant they had ventured into. Instead of staring down on them impatiently as any self-respecting New Yorker would do in her hometown waiting for her caffeine fix, I could not help but enjoy the puzzled looks of the customers (Q: "What size do you want?" A:" Oh they come in different sizes?" Note to self: do not laugh out loud as I did when I heard this because the guy looked at me disapprovingly, as one would if one heard a stranger laughing at presumbably something one said).
So when I returned to the restaurant, skipped happily up the staircase of the employee entrance with my take-out espresso, I greeted the Chef and he said: "The first quality of a Chef is punctuality." Damn you Starbucks!

No comments:

Post a Comment