Tuesday, October 12, 2010

I am in danger...

... of putting on ten pounds from eating cream puffs, cream sauce, buttered everything, Napoleons - all homemade biensur. What's a French cooking student to do?

So last week we gutted and guillotined chickens, this week we explored the insides of trouts. Strangely, the gills are used for the fumet or fish stock, and let me tell you, fish do not like to part with their gills, even when they are dead. I had to wrestle my two slimey specimens with a kitchen knife to end up with what looked like very little.
Also this week we are tackling very delicate pastries: iles flottantes (one of my favorites), choux pastry and puff pastry (we are making Napoleons or millefeuilles as they are called here, on Thursday). My choux pastry was a success (okay, it was not my first time), but my islands of soft meringue poached in barely sweetend milk were a bit of a distaster.
As for the puff pastry... it was a momentous event for me as I am a "feuilletage virgin," one might say. For now it is sitting in the fridge, but I have a feeling it will come out nicely.

No comments:

Post a Comment