Thursday, May 5, 2011

Call me sexist…

Yesterday all our guests arrived pretty much at the same time. The chef was frantic and quickly lost his cool. For someone who’s been doing this all his life I found it surprising. More importantly, I cannot work in a small space with someone who is panicking. My friend once used the term “grace under pressure” to qualify me. At first this made me laugh, because I, of all people, get wrapped up and emotional very rapidly. I have had some heated encounters in the United Nations where I definitely lost my cool. But in the kitchen, truth be told, not even the chef can make me run, and I mean that literally. At my last restaurant, where on my last day my chef told me “elle me prend pour un con” which can loosely translate as my having an attitude problem, the same chef once gave me an order (can’t remember what) and added emphatically: “Cours!” which means “Run!” I did no such thing. First of all, it’s not allowed in a kitchen (and yes, I am selectively anal when it comes to rules – deal with it!) and secondly, there is no way on earth I am going to run because some punk in a funny hat told me so. As for why it is not allowed, it’s really a simple security rule, as one may easily slip on a parsnip peel and end up cut or burnt or worse (both).
So as I watched my new chef stress himself out, I just went on with what I know and am fond of; multi-tasking. According to research this is a feminine quality, which might be why so many chefs (mostly male, I guess) go bezerk in the kitchen. You’ve all heard the anthropological stereotype of the cavewoman nursing a baby while stirring the bison stew, warding off the saber-tooth tiger and watching the toddler all at the same time. In the workplace this can be translated as working on half a dozen applications (in my old office, these would be mostly outdated and bug-ridden) while picking up the phone or chatting with a client or colleague. In the kitchen this means preparing different foods at the same time or all at once as was the case yesterday. But really it’s also a matter of perception… the chef mentioned he was planning on putting more pressure on me so I would pick up some speed (ie. I’m too slow), while the waitress told me: “Heureusement que tu restes zen” (“Good thing you can keep your cool”)!
I didn’t mean this to sound as sexist as it does… what I wanted to say was that it takes more than proper seasoning to run a kitchen, it also takes certain qualities, some of which are typically feminine. Chef Frerard once told me of a young apprentice who could run his station like a pro with minimal training. I don’t think he meant that his sauces were yummy... but that he knew how to multi-task. As to why are there so few female chefs in the kitchen? That’s another issue altogether…

No comments:

Post a Comment