Thursday, May 19, 2011

Beach life



So it’s been two weeks since my last entry. Have I been lazy? No. busy? Oui. I had visitors, then finished my internship and spent a week end celebrating one of my dearest friend’s hen week end (bachelorette, in American) in Ibiza. Tuesday was my last day at the restaurant, which was sad, but the break is also nice. Since last September I have been working through every school break! Now I can focus on the months ahead, working, honing, refining, redefining… and experimenting. What I am craving right now is Asian food, which makes sense after nine months of very French cuisine. So today I set out to make adobo, the Philippine national dish (soy sauce, vinegar, garlic, laurel, pepper corns), but when I went to the store I saw some beautiful squids and had a vision of Thai basil squid which can be easily found in NYC (alongside pretty much everything else) but not in Marseilles. I also saw this gorgeous matcha-lychee-raspberry tart on the wonderful www.zencancook.com so I was all set. The squid didn’t come out quite as I wanted but the tart was as pretty as it was fresh and delicious (I didn’t have mint so I used basil and made a gluten-free tart base).

As for my meals in Ibiza, I had a perfectly cooked sea bass at Blue Marlin, preceded by a simple but reliable grilled prawn, avocado and mango salad. My cordero (lamb) was unfortunately overcooked at KM5, though my girlfriends were raving about their beef skewers.

http://www.bluemarlinibiza.com/
http://www.km5-lounge.com/

2 comments: