Wednesday, August 25, 2010

First impressions


It's almost been a week since I landed in Marseille. The sun has shone bright trough and through, except for a refreshing thunderstorm overnight last week. Marseille seems bigger than I expected it to feel. Even though it is the second largest city in France (arguably Lyon is the third), I just assumed that it would feel rather provincial, especially after Manhattan. On the contrary, I was surprised by a vibrancy and urbanity that immediately appealed to my city girl predilections.
There seems to be a lot of things going on in this town, a lot of people coming through, a mobile and worldly population which is what makes me the most comfortable. What's more, the people I have met, with few exceptions, namely at the hip Colette store in Aix-en-Provence, have been exceptionally warm and helpful.
Sara and I have been occupying a two-bedroom apartment left vacant by the friend of my ex-husband's friend. The apartment is in apparently a nicer part of town, meaning to say more residential, with less night-time riff-raff and better public schools. That is why I proceeded to look for an apartment in the same neighborhood. We are walking distance from the beach and a lovely edge of water park. Downtown, where most of the action takes place, is about a 5 minute bus ride away or fifteen minute walk, not unlike the distance from Tudor City Place to Union Square for example (if there is no traffic and you are a brisk walker).
The one thing that's gotten to me is the dog shit on the sidewalks. Sadly, the French do not scoop after their canine friends. So far I have had no unpleasant incidents but it is a bit of an added stress to have to look out for every step as well as that of your child's.
I had also forgotten how much the French love to sunbathe topless. I had to confirm to Sara that there was nothing wrong with it and was relieved when she didn't ask me why I didn't remove my bikini top.

No comments:

Post a Comment