Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Bidding farewell to the Mediterranean...


Walking over to Malmousque tonight was absolutely magical. It is so close to the city and yet feels like another world, with its tiny port and boats and clear turquoise waters teeming with sea life. Of course now that I’m leaving I can’t believe I didn’t spend more time there.
The boardwalk itself is its own reward, following the edge of the Mediterranean with the islands ahead, among them the Chateau d’If where the count of Monte Cristo was emprisoned. Who do I see along the way if it ain’t Jose the Colombian bartender I worked with. We started chatting and talking about kitchen staff coming and going, making me nostalgic…



In Malmousque, which I would say marks the beginning of the Calanques, the streets are tiny and steep and lead to a breathtaking water-front… as we were walking down a guy carrying an accordion showed up and started serenading us and following us to the shore, he was making up a song about Malmousque and the nice people you meet there, all the way to the edge of the water, where he finally said he came to swim, not to play his instrument! It sort of felt like a Woody Allen movie filmed in the South of France (okay mainly for the accordion). We soaked in the scenery and then went looking for another beach a bit further, right next to the Foreign Legion base, and lo and behold, another guy I knew, this time from when I first got here, and in his arms, a tiny baby! I just couldn’t believe it.
i just hate goodbyes…

No comments:

Post a Comment