Wednesday, April 27, 2011

The happy kitchen


As much as I have been enjoying my internship, I have also had some doubts as to whether this was the beginning of a new career for me after all. Sure, I haven’t been very aggressive in my job-search, being still in student mode, and making the most of it till the very end. The thing is, the very end is approaching fast, and it’s time for me to plan out a post-end- of-June road map.
In the meantime, I am into my second week at the restaurant, and it is going as I wish. On Saturday, the chef gave me to honor of leaving me alone in the kitchen throughout the lunch service, while he worked the dining room. It was an exhilarating, albeit sweaty experience. As much as I like teamwork in the kitchen, I am finding out just how much I also like working alone there.
Chef Claude is a heaven-sent mentor. He’s been kind, encouraging, patient and open-minded. I’m not saying he’s the best chef or anything like that; as a matter of fact there are a number of things I would do differently in my own kitchen. It’s also funny some of the habits I’ve carried over from my other experiences – it looks like I am developing my own identity as a cook. This can be seen in the way I work (from left to right on the chopping board), to the way I clean up (I use way too many paper towels) or the way I taste (only with a spoon!) or plate (with metallic circles and lots of chives and squiggles).
A kitchen is really like taking a glimpse into the chef’s mind. Some are shiny and some are cold and others are moldy and out of date. Saturday night, after working Chef Claude’s tiny, modest kitchen on my own, I got a glimpse at Marseille’s only three Michelin star kitchen, and was overcome by a sense of awe and admiration at the quiet dexterity of every cook seemingly in synch with every other one, everything immaculate and shiny, everyone going about their business with perfect precision, without a wasted movement. The chef, Gerald Passedat, the only one without a toque, was working too, not screaming at his staff while feeding his dog foie gras, as I had always pictured him. Did I have any regrets as to my choice of internship? Not for one second.

2 comments:

  1. Windy I'm sure you'll find your way. I'm dreaming of one day eating at your restaurant either in Manhattan or in Marseille :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks... that's just the thing, everyone's so excited, but i really don't think my food's all that!!! i guess i also have to gain confidence as well as experience.

    ReplyDelete